AUDIOLOGISTS, SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGISTS, AV THERAPISTS, EDUCATORS, PARENTS
$75.00 PER COURSE
EXPIRES JANUARY 31, 2021
ASHA/0.7, Intermediate, Professional
A pass rate of 0% will be required during the online test/quiz to earn continuing credit.
Note: This course is $50.00 USD.
Each participant who sucessfully completed the Instructional Portion of the Level 1 Certification in AST Program is eligible to take this group mentoring course. Each participant signs in, and joins an online group room where an experienced AST practitioner is leading and moderating therapy observations and analysis. Each participant has 30 minutes to provide the background information, current skills and short-term goals for their client. Then, a ten minute video-clip of the best portions of the AST session is presented. Following the presentation, the moderator will lead a group discussion about the anaysis of the therapist's skills, the outcomes, and what the goals would be for the next session. This teleconference mentoring session provides an abundance of opportunities for participants to observe skills learned during the Level 1 Certification in AST Training Program: Instructional Portion put into action.
There are three parts to the Level 1 Certification in Auditory Skills Training (AST) Training Program:
1) INSTRUCTIONAL PORTION of Level 1 AST Certification Training Program to take place in Toronto, Canada;
2) MENTORING PORTION of Level 1 AST Certification Training Program to take place via Teleconference; a total of 3 one-day mentoring workshops within one year period where participants will present and show 10 minute video clips of their AST sessions for observation, analysis and group discussion. The teleconference mentoring sessions will take place in December 2019; April 2020 and August 2020. Each teleconference mentoring session takes seven hours and provides an abundance of opportunities for participants to observe skills learned during the Level 1 Certification in AST Training Program: Instructional Portion put into practice.
3) ONLINE EXAM for Level 1 Certification in AST Training Program which the participants will take online. Participants must receive a passing grade of 80% to be eligible to receive Level 1 AST Certification.
Although the majority of the training is provided over the three days, it will take one year for the professional to fully complete the requirements for Level 1 Certification in AST. Level 1 Certification in AST will provide not only provide the clinician with the requisite skills to provide the basics of Auditory Skills Training to individuals with cochlear implant(s) and their families but also confidence in management of conditions and strategies that will facilitate the development of listening skills and optimal CI auditory outcomes.
Following the this course, the learner will be able to:
LEVEL 1 AST MENTORING PROCESS
Following the instructional portion of this training program, the learner will be eligible to begin the LEVEL 1 AST Mentoring Process. The Level 1 AST Mentoring Process is designed to provide guidance to the new practitioner in the selection of goals and activites, the execution and charting of an AST session. The mentoring process requires all workshop participants seeking completion of Level 1 AST Certification to complete three days of mentoring; the first of which to take place in December of 2019; the second to take place in April of 2020; and the third to take place in August of 2020. The Mentoring process will take place through tele-conference (Zoom), and participation is mandatory. Each learner will provide a 10-minute clip of their AST session and the course instructor will provide feedback and guidance, and discussion with other course participants will take place. These mentoring sessions are to provide consistent guidance, consultation services and support for new AST practitioner. Following completion of all mentoring sessions, the participant will be eligible to take an online exam for Level 1 AST Certification.
LEVEL 1 AST ONLINE EXAM
Following successful completion of the Level 1 AST Mentoring Process, the participant will be eligible to take the Level 1 AST Online Exam. The exam will consist of questions pertaining to instructional portion and mentoring process to ensure learner outcomes and comfort with AST practice has been achieved. The learner will need to demonstrate 80% pass rate to achieve Level 1 AST Certification. Support for exam preparation will be provided throughout the course.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What's the fee Schedule for Level 1 Certification in AST Training Program?
1. Instructional Portion of Level 1 Certfication in AST (in Toronto)= $875.00 USD
2. Mentoring Portion of Level 1 Certification in AST Training Program= $100.00 USD
3. Online Exam Portion of Level 1 Certification in AST= $50.00 USD
What is your refund policy?
No refunds will be offered once the participant begins the course. Partial refunds (minus $75.00 administration fee) will be offered if the participant cancels registration 15 days prior to start of course.
Who can take the Level 1 AST Certification Training Program?
The Level 1 AST Certification Training Program is only open to Audiologists, Speech-Language Pathologists, and Educators of the Deaf and those professionals who are LSLS Certified in Auditory-Verbal Therapy/Education; these professionals have the pre-requisite knowledge to learn and apply AST in the manner it is intended to be used.
How many levels of certification are there for AST?
There are three levels of certification for Auditory Skills Training:
1) Level One Certification in AST demonstrates that the clinician has received introductory level training and mentoring in Auditory Skills Training.
2) Level Two Certification in AST demonstrates that the clinician has received intermediate level training and mentoring in Auditory Skills Training.
3) Level Three Certification in AST demonstrates that the clinical has received advanced level training and mentoring in Auditory Skills Training. Those with Level Three Certification can provide instructional support and mentoring services in AST training programs.
The clinician is encouraged to successfully complete and pass ALL three certification levels to fully understand Auditory Skills Training and the strategies, techniques and collaborative family-centered care as it applies to CI users. Practitioners have the choice to choose the level of AST Training and Certification they wish to achieve.
How do I maintain certification in AST?
To maintain Level 1 AST Certification, the following conditions must be met:
1. Twelve hours of continuing education in AST must be obtained over a 12- month period. Proof of continuing education must be provided in September of every year and can be completed online.
2. Payment of an annual membership fee.
3. Adherence to the Principles of AST and the Code of Professional and Ethical Conduct.
Who is the certifying body/organization for AST?
SoundIntution is the certifying body/organization for all levels of AST Certification.
Who else offers training in AST?
Training at this time, is offered exclusively by SoundIntuition.
Who is the head instructor for the Level 1 Certification in AST Mentoring Program?
Karen MacIver-Lux, MA, Aud(C), Reg. CASLPO, LSLS Cert. AVT is the head instructor and mentor for the Level 1 Certification in AST Mentoring Porgram. Karen is the President and CE Administrator of SoundIntuition. She oversees the development of online courses, learning experiences, and products for professionals and families who dedicate their lives to helping individuals with communication disorders reach their highest listening and communication potential. Karen has held the position of Lecturer in the School of Human Communication Disorders and has lectured at numerous universities across Canada and United States. Karen is also the Director of MacIver-Lux Auditory Learning Services and provides auditory learning services for individuals with hearing loss of all ages and their families. From 1997-2007, Karen worked as an auditory-verbal therapist and coordinator of clinical services at the Learning to Listen Foundation (LTLF), North York General Hospital in Toronto. In addition, she worked as a clinical audiologist for several years. She also served as a director of the board of Auditory-Verbal International, Inc.
M.A., Aud(C), Reg. CASLPO, LSLS Cert. AVT
Karen is the Director of MacIver-Lux Auditory Learning Services where she provides auditory learning services for individuals with hearing loss of all ages, and their families. [Full bio to the left]
The learner is invited to observe an Auditory Skil....
Experience in mentoring and training professionals....
Health literacy is commonly described as degree to....
Get started in learning how to help children who o....
Karen is an audiologist and a LSLS certified audit....
The Level 1 AST Certification Training Program: In....
Auditory-Verbal Practice (AVP) has evolved signifi....
The exam for the Level 1 Certification in AST: Ins....
KAREN MACIVER LUX